The free forums are no longer in use. It remains available as read-only archive.
I have been having xCloner plugin installed for sometime but never used it in practice to migrate the site. Now I am facing this challenge and I was wondering if you can comment/correct on my understanding of the migration process.
Essentially I am migrating the whole site with hundreds of posts/pages from one 1and1 web hosting account to another 1and1 account. I am not changing the domain name, it stays the same..
1. My first step is to create a new xcloner backup in current 1and1 wordpress install and then, since my domain name is registered with Godaddy I will disconnect the domain name from this current 1and1 account by going to (cancel.1and1.com).
2. My second step is to initiate the domain name pointing (DNS) to the new 1and1 web hosting account. Once it's successfull.
3. I will install a brand new fresh install of WordPress by creating a new mySQL database, just like creating a new worpress site.
4. Install xCloner plugin on this new installation
5. Move the previously backed up backup.tar backup file to the main directory of the FTP folder in new site
6. Using xCloner plugin pressing “Clone” button to fill-out all the FTP and new mySQL info
7. Hope to have xCloner overwrite the mySQL database file with the one from the backup.tar
Am I understanding the process corrctly or am I missing something? Is there an easier more diect way to handle this situation where the domain name stays the same but the web host is changed from one account to another of the same web host?
Would truly appreciate your help!
XCloner! Support said:
Hi Renat, please check the restore process in our wiki https://docs.xcloner.com/#/ , you don’t need to preinstall WordPress, simply create a new database and follow the above restore process.
Is it still alright if I already created a fresh WordPress install and approached it the way I described in my previous post?