Help with Understanding the Cloner - | Old Forum | Forum Archive

The free forums are no longer in use. It remains available as read-only archive.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
Help with Understanding the Cloner -
February 22, 2008
12:00 am
Rick67
Guests

I am having problems with understanding just what the differences are between "Clone", "Move" and "Restore" since to me they all mean the same thing.

[u]GOAL: I want to clone an existing Joomla website to another URL where Joomla is not installed.[/u]

In the Cloner Manager on the Joomla backend, if I click on the Restore Backup Tree, the documentation says "How to restore a backup on different locations INFO!" and goes on to say "move your backup to the restore host".

If I go to "View Backups" then I have an option to "move" or "clone".

Exactly what should I be doing...moving or cloning?

Thanks,
Rick

February 22, 2008
admin
Guests

The difference between Clone and Move buttons is this:

- the Clone button will transfer beside the backup archive also our restore script, and provide a link to start the restore script in the end
- the Move button will only move the backup archive

SO, for restoring on another location use the Clone option, or transfer the backup archive and restore manually to the new location through a ftp client!

Ovidiu

February 25, 2008
pbolger
Guests

I'm a little hazy on this too. Can I clone an existing site onto a server which has no Joomla instance installed at all? I have to establish a system to create small sites from a template with the least work possible. If I can get away with putting in database details and changing a few content items (company name, image files) that'd be great.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 867
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
mlguru: 30
Django29: 29
Andy: 21
D: 21
Marcus: 20