Restore operation on existing site - Best Practise | Old Forum | Forum Archive

The free forums are no longer in use. It remains available as read-only archive.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
Restore operation on existing site - Best Practise
February 11, 2008
12:00 am
trimmades
Guests

Hi,

Sorry for a perhaps obvious and naive newbie question but anyhow...

I use JoomlaCloner + a cron job scheduler to do daily backups and everything works just great.

Sometimes I take a backup and restore it in an empty wamp directory and an empty database on my local machine. I do this so that I can test patches, new modules etc. before I apply them on the live site. This also always run perfectly good.

Now suppose that I do a lot of work on my local installation and then create a backup that I want to restore to my live site i.e. a site wich already has a "installation structure" and an existing database (I don't know if this is called a restore- or a clone operation).

What is best practises when restoring a backup on an existing, functioning site?

I have done a couple of tests of this locally but I, of course, always get a lot of db "duplicate key" warnings messages. Is this normal i.e. can I just, as I always do, use a manual restore procedure even on a already functioning site?

Thanks in advance!

February 11, 2008
12:00 am
admin
Guests

The duplicate error is related to the fact that you are not using an empty database on restore!

The best practice on restore would be to have an empty restore directory and an empty site, however for live sites i only recommend an empty database different from the original one, you can leave the files present as long as you have a backup in place!

Let me know if you have further questions! Ovidiu

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 867
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
mlguru: 30
Django29: 29
Andy: 21
D: 21