Getting crontab to work | Old Forum | Forum Archive

The free forums are no longer in use. It remains available as read-only archive.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
Getting crontab to work
May 4, 2006
12:00 am
swimmrguy
Guests

I have recently purchased JoomlaCloner and I think it is a great component. I have had some troubles with FTP and using crontab. Ovidiu has been very helpful, and responsive to email. I am still having some issues with getting the crontab job to use remote FTP.

What I have learned so far (which may help others!)
The instructions in the component on how to set up a crontab job assume that PHP is compiled as a cgi. After some web searching, I discovered that the server I use does not have PHP configured as a cgi, but as an Apache module. (I admit this doesn't mean a whole lot to me, but it was critical in getting crontab to work.) I was able to figure this out by looking at the phpinfo() page for my server.

In order to have crontab execute a php page when compiled this way, you need to use lynx. So I had to set up my crontab job like this:
* * * * * /path/to/lynx -dump http://myjoomlasite......r.cron.php

This seems to work: The cron job executes as it should, and a backup is created in the indicated backup directory. However, I have the cron configuration setup to use remote FTP--and the file is not transferred to the remote FTP site. I am able to use the "move" function with the admin component to move it to the remote FTP site--but it won't work using cron.

Any ideas on how to get this to work? If I load the cloner.cron.php page in my browser (as a test) should it make the backup and send it by FTP? Because I have tried that, and again it will only make the backup but it doesn't seem to connect to the remote FTP server.

Thanks for any advice.
Bob

May 4, 2006
12:00 am
admin
Guests

Hi there! I could help you if you could submit a ticket here http://www.joomlaplu.....Itemid,43/

and include your administrator details in it and i will check the cron problem!
Btw, when the cron is finished do you get any message saying about the ftp transfer? Also in your config did you checked the ftp mode checkbox?

Regards, Ovidiu

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 867
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
mlguru: 30
Django29: 29
Andy: 21
D: 21