Can JoomlaCloner help me with this problem? | Old Forum | Forum Archive

The free forums are no longer in use. It remains available as read-only archive.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
Can JoomlaCloner help me with this problem?
July 30, 2006
12:00 am
webjive
Guests

I run a small hosting company focused on local small businesses and I deploy all these sites using Joomla. My business is on an upswing and I need to automate more.

Since small businesses have very diverse needs (just like bigger companies), I find myself installing this component and that module all the time. This eats into costs by making setup take longer. Just like everyone else, I need to keeps costs down so that it saves me money which I can pass along.

The question I have is, can it help me automate this process? Here is what I have in mind.

A master installation with all the common components I deploy (e.g. JCE, Open-SEF and a few others) I think a majority of my customers might want. I would like to use JC to deploy the new site checkbox style with only the components and modules I choose. This would clone the components/modules and DB to a designated directory and DB. I could then edit the config file by hand (if necessary if JC doesn't do this) to have things up and running.

Does JC have this capability??

Regards,
Eric
http://www.web-jive.com

July 30, 2006
12:00 am
admin
Guests

Hi there! JoomlaCloner has this functionality already build in! You may notice in your 'View Backups' screen that there is a red mark(green means already published) for publishing the clone for frontend, that is used to share is to your users and let them install the clone automatically from the frontend!

In order to achieve what you want here are the steps you need to follow:

1. create the custom clone you want to share it with your users(i suggest you create a clean Joomla install, add your components and modules to include in backup)
2. go to your 'View Backups' screen and publish it for frontend(this step requires that you also configured the users clone path in your Configuration area, just under the full backup path)
Note: you may also transfer the clone to the service site and just use it there as a normal clone
3. Now you should see it in the frontend http://mysiteurl.com.....com_cloner or you can add a link to the component from your menu manager
4. Next, on that screen, all your users have to do is to select the clone(s), enter their ftp details and the install process will begin for them

Let me know on your questions!

Regards, Ovidiu

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 867
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
mlguru: 30
Django29: 29
Andy: 21