Sorting out utf8 problem | Old Forum | Forum Archive

The free forums are no longer in use. It remains available as read-only archive.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
Sorting out utf8 problem
January 17, 2008
12:00 am
lawweaver1
Guests

Hi

I recently did a restore of my website and everything seemed fine, but I now realise that I'm gettting strange chareacters which I associate with the utf8 code not being set in the restore. I have now added more articles etc to the site. Can I change the utf8 setting without having to restore the whole database. If I do need to restore the database can I do this without overwriting the new stuff?

Many thanks Nick

January 17, 2008
12:00 am
admin
Guests

This is a little bit tricky, however here is what i suggest:

1. go in your new site JoomlaCloner Config and uncheck the second "Active" checkbox, the one near mysqldump line
2. create a database backup of your site, make sure you DON'T check "Add drop syntax"
3. at this step create a new database, do not empty the existing one
4. make a restore of your original site and make sure you set on the Joomla.Cloner.php screen the "Character set to the file" option to utf8, you should check at this point if the site displays correctly now
5. make a second restore, but now use the backup you create at step 2., make sure you don't check the "incremental sql import", or else you will get a lot of skip queries links to click; at this step when it's all done you will get a page with mysql error for duplicate content, however the new data should be inserted along with the old(fixed) one

Hope it helps, for further help feel free to contact us on our support system to see if we can help further! Regards, Ovidiu

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 867
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
mlguru: 30
Django29: 29
Andy: 21
D: 21
Marcus: 20