using a test joomla instance on the same domain | Old Forum | Forum Archive

The free forums are no longer in use. It remains available as read-only archive.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
using a test joomla instance on the same domain
February 17, 2010
12:00 am
alias2211
Guests

Hi-

I've been using Xcloner for a few months now, and it's great. I can't believe how easy it is to use for restoring and changing domains. I'm hooked, and I have been telling my Joomla developer friends about it. At this point, I'd like to really expand our use of Xcloner by implementing a test instance of our Joomla site, but on a subdomain of the same domain. I thought I would post here first before proceeding, to see if there are any best practices or suggestions that you have about how to set this up in the best way.

Basically, we're going live with our site, and that will be the production site. Now when we want to make changes to the template, add a module, etc., we won't be able to do that on our live site w/o impacting the user experience. So here's what we're thinking:

1. http://www.mysite.com = Production server
2. test.mysite.com = Development server

We currently run a cron nightly backup of production, and we'd use those TAR file backups as the basis for our subdomain TEST.

Any tips/suggestions/cautions that you can think of would be much appreciated. I just mainly want to know if there are issues w/ maintaining a development instance of joomla on the same domain, insofar as the XCloner component is concerned.

February 17, 2010
admin
Guests

Hi there! There should be no issues with the two sites running on the same server/site, just make sure they point to different directories and use different databases! Once you do this, you have 2 joomla instances running separately without issues

Hope it helps! Ovidiu

February 17, 2010
alias2211
Guests

OK thanks for the confirmation. I will go ahead and try this out, setting up a test instance of joomla on a subdomain which uses a separate database and file directory.

One specific question I'm curious about before I start the process is that we will be restoring our Production backups to the Test instance before each major modification. So, when I do this restore process, will the restore completely overwrite the Test database each time? This would be ideal, because we will want the most recent version of the Production backup.

I hope I do not have to create a new DB for Test each time, is basically what I'm getting at.

February 19, 2010
alias2211
Guests

Just wanted to update: I was able to get a subdomain created and used the DROP ADD syntax to successfully clone the current LIVE site to the TEST subdomain. So now I have something to use to test enhancements, etc.

Just a clarification question on the ADD DROP syntax: if I do not have this checked, what is the result? I assume that since checking that box results in an overwrite of the existing target DB, then NOT checking it will only replace existing tables from the backed up DB?

Currently our nightly backup is set to run via cron, but we are not using the ADD DROP syntax. I am wondering if I should modify this nightly backup to run this way, and if so, why?

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 867
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
mlguru: 30
Django29: 29
Andy: 21
D: 21
Marcus: 20