Error 500 from server during restore ... .htaccess problem ? | Wordpress Support | Forum Archive

The free forums are no longer in use. It remains available as read-only archive.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Error 500 from server during restore ... .htaccess problem ?
May 31, 2011
9:15 pm
Roger
Members
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Ovidiu ! Spme background first ... I had to backup a site on an internal server - no problem. Did a restore on another internal server to make sure it was good - fine. Next, had to restore on a different box, "in the wild" 😉

Whilst the file restore was taking place via FTP, we got a "500" internal error. Because this server is remote, we cannot see what happened, but the remote webmaster says that .htaccess was full of "rubbish", so he renamed it and the 500 went away. But this broke all our permalink stuff, so we uploaded a (non-XCloner) backup of .htaccess from the "real" site (which we took from the "wild" site before the attempt at the XCloner restore ... if you follow me) ... and these came back. Good.

BUT we still have to (urgently) do the restore for real and we are wondering if we should and can exclude .htaccess from the tar file we are using. We cannot regenerate this because the internal server it came from has now been trashed 🙁

Is there a way to change the .tar so that the restore will not attempt to restore it ? Is it just a question of removing its name from /adminsitrator/backups/perm.txt ?

This is a live problem so any assistance you can give will be most welcome 🙂

With thanks in anticipation,

R.

May 31, 2011
10:03 pm
Roger
Members

Well, I tried removing the line for .htaccess in /adminsitrator/backups/perm.txt but it made no difference. Same problem about 16% of the way in. More thinking …

PS: I should add that the "direct" method fails due to some kind of permission problem. When FTP looked like it was going to work, we ent with that 🙂

June 1, 2011
6:48 am
Ovidiu Liuta
Admin
Forum Posts: 2484

Simply remove the administrator/backups/htaccess.txt file from the tar archive, it should help.

Ovidiu

June 5, 2011
6:27 pm
Roger
Members

OK, not quite sure how but we got there. Since then, I have been trying to deffines exactly how to get this to work and I am having no success.

EVERYTHING seems to come back to permissions. For example, if I try to upload files via FTP, straight away I get

"Directory /home/httpd/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/ is not writeable or does not exists!" ... it does ! It has permission of 750 but changing these (even to 777) doesn't help.

If I try the direct installation, it's the same. Even if I check the "skip files", I get the same ! I have tried changing FTP parameters and jumped when I saw there was an option for keeping a log ... but I can't find it.

So, can I have some hints as to what permissions are needed on the root folder for file transfer to work ?

Also, where is this FTP log ?

With thanks in anticipation,

Roger

June 5, 2011
7:50 pm
Ovidiu Liuta
Admin
Forum Posts: 2484

The permission on that folder to make it fully writeable should be 777, so if they don't work, i would suggest you contact your hosting company, it could be an issue from their side.

XCloner does not keep a ftp log, however you won't need that as all error messages are displayed on screen.

Ovidiu

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 867
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
mlguru: 30
Django29: 29
D: 21
Andy: 21