404 error -cannot open site | Joomla Support | Forum Archive

The free forums are no longer in use. It remains available as read-only archive.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
404 error -cannot open site
February 25, 2013
4:02 pm
Guests

Hi!

Thank you for the lovely extension! I managed without problem to backup and restore my site on localhost, although I am a complete beginner in Joomla (I'm using Joomla 2.5 by the way) and web design alltogether, although with an engineering background so I have a vague idea.

It seemed like the site successfully cloned on the remote server, as well (according to the messages I got from XCloner.php). But once I tried to open the site I got either 404 or 500 error messages.

I did try all the tips I found on your forum for simillar posts - I made sure with my hosting provider that everything has 777 permissions, I did disable SEF URLs, I tried to restore everything manually through FTP client, many, many times with different settings (each time I would create a brand new database). I tried to comment lines in htaccess.txt as explained,  than I tried excluding htaccess.txt from the backup. Unfortunately nothing worked. 

Well, I really tried not to bother you guys, but it lookes like I ran out of ideas.

Please, help. My URL is http://www.boomerang.....studios.gr.

Thanks in advance!

February 25, 2013
9:28 pm
Ovidiu Liuta
Admin
Forum Posts: 2484
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Usually the 404 errors are caused by the SEF ur's, so try and disable that. For the 500 errors, the issue might be something else and you need to check your site error_log for the full error message. Are you able to access the restored site admin backend?

Ovidiu

February 26, 2013
1:52 pm
Guests

My hosting provider just sent me the following information: 

"I enabled the error displaying for PHP and now you can clearly see that there is an error in your code. Contact your developper to solve this. The error is:

PHP Notice: Undefined variable: margin in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\boomerang-studios.gr\httpdocs\joomla00teststudios\modules\mod_AutsonSlideShow\tmpl\default.php on line 586

Propably its the mod_AutsonSlideShow module that caused this error."

What I don't get is - how come if the error is in my code the same backup restores perfectly on my localhost? Should I really be changing someting in my code, or is it some other setting that is causing the problem in restoring?

Please, help. Thank you so much.

February 26, 2013
2:30 pm
Guests

I can't access the restored site admin backend

February 26, 2013
3:43 pm
Guests

sorry to waste your time on reading this - it was a bodgy version of software - while I was trying everything and anything to get the site going. Now I have restored a previous version, and I dont get no PHP notices -back to where I was

February 26, 2013
4:31 pm
Guests

I did asked my hosting provider to help me to find my error_log, because I did not find it anywhere in my install dir. I have set my server global settings to "development", but still, I cannot see error_log anywhere. Beats me. I am hoping you can help me.

February 26, 2013
5:20 pm
Guests

OK, I have new discoveries. I did tell you that I was successfull in restoring my site on the localhost. I only checked the front end of the site. I tried to log into the back end now, and I cant. I get a 404 - component not find error. So, the cloning to localhost was not successful in the first place.

February 26, 2013
8:37 pm
Ovidiu Liuta
Admin
Forum Posts: 2484
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Could you redo the restore process and post here screenshots of your results screen? Make sure the backup archive has the same size as on the original host first. if you can post the full error from the backend area, i could guide you further on what to check...

Ovidiu

February 28, 2013
11:31 am
Guests

Hi, Ovidiu!

I unpublished the module that was causing the PHP notice problem, and now I can see the frontend of my site. Still, when I try entering the backend, after entering username and password I still get the 404 error. I installed another Joomla 2.5.8 demo site on the host server, with sample data, and it works fine. I can access both its frontend and backend, no problem. I've checked its configuration.php and compared it with the one XCloner generated. As for differences,

demo site php has $dbtype = 'mysqli'; , while XCloner's php has $dbtype = 'mysql'; (which it should be, I think, as my Joomla server settings were MySQL - I've checked)

demo site php has $sef = '1'; XCloner php has $sef = '0';  (as you suggested)

demo site php has $log_path and $tmp_path pointing at the appropriate dirs on the server, the XCloner $log_path and $tmp_path were pointing on the localhost (xampp) locations. 

these are the extra lines that were present in the XCloner configuration.php (demo php had none of these)

public $MetaRights = '';
public $sitename_pagetitles = '1';
public $force_ssl = '0';
public $feed_email = 'author';
public $cookie_domain = '';
public $cookie_path = '';

Other than that everything was perfectly the same.

I tried to change all the settings in XCloner.php to correspond to the demo one, i have appropriately updated the $log_path and $tmp_path with paths to corresponding server dirs, tried to comment the extra code lines one by one to work out where is the problem - no luck.

htacess.txt files were perfectly the same. 

I've checked both Global Configuration settings, and the only difference seems to be in the database type. The demo runs on M ySQLi, and my site on MySQL.

I'm thinking now - it can't be writing permissions of my administrator directory, as the demo Joomla site installed perfectly, and its administrator folder is writable. It beats me. Ovidiu, please answer this or my email, as I realy have to get the site going, I ran out of the ideas.

Thank you so much for everything,

Rada

February 28, 2013
11:50 am
Guests

Another thing, I don't know if it has any significance, but when I comment the $dbtype = 'mysql'; in XCloner-generated configuration.php, nothing happens - the frontend lof the site oads just fine, like this command line is ignored. (baqckend still inaccessible).

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 867
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
mlguru: 30
Django29: 29
Andy: 21
D: 21
Marcus: 20